Thursday 3 September 2009

Irina Troitskaya



My three children went back to school today, fitting then that I should begin by showing you some of Irina Troitskaya's wonderful illustrations from a school-themed Russian comic strip. You may already be familiar with Irina's work, especially if you read Uppercase magazine. I came across her portfolio quite by chance and instantly fell in love with her world of illustration, so different from anything I've ever seen before.


"Life's too short to be someone you don't want to".

Irina was born and raised in Izhevsk, a place she describes as "a city of dead ends, sad electronic music and Finno-Ugric cultural roots". Her love of drawing led her to study art at Udmurt State University for five years, but left her weary, feeling nothing but abhorrence for the way painting and drawing were regarded. After graduating she worked as a TV journalist, then in summer 2003 decided to try her chances in Moscow. She has established herself as a successful freelance illustrator working for press, advertising and book publishing, as well as being a tutor of a visual communications course. Irina is studying for a Master's degree in illustration at the University of Hertfordshire, England.

I've really enjoyed reading Irina's blog and seeing some of the things that inspire her, the environment she lives in and grew up in, all the things that she sees, lives, breathes and absorbs. The world that will influence her future creation.







I've loved seeing how dolls she played with as a child


have, over time, been transformed into these beautiful and strange Matreshkas.






How her fabulous sketchbooks






have developed into these patterns and illustrations,




and, how birds and animals from Russian litterature have been shaped into mysterious masks and striking Easter eggs.




Pictures speak louder than words.

Take the time to explore Irina's blog and portfolio, a whole new world awaits you.

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, I had found Irina's bullfinches in the spring its lovely to see her other work, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how very beautiful, original, and so special what a fabulous discovery. I love your blog, you think in a different way and you are always showing beautiful discoveries...thankyou so much.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Hugs Lynn
    I just love that turquoise and tomato red edable yummy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful work, her work looks really great*-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a beautiful post! fabulous feature, Deb - I really enjoyed reading it... and all those wonderful images!! Just gorgeous. Thank you! K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Deb

    I've just discovered your lovely blog by the comment you left on bondville regarding my work. I'm smitten! Your mention of a drawer full of french linens makes my heart quite literally gasp. I will follow your entries with interest - we are hoping to be in France ourselves this time next year.

    Take care, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great discovery, I love it !! Thanks for sharing this link !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Deborah! So sweet! Appreciate deeply!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for your comment! I discover your blog with a great pleasure, I will comme again quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post, thankyou so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful blog, great link, thanks a lot!
    the matryoshka dolls are sooo gorgeous...
    wish you a nice we

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, Deb... what an incredible post! Irina's work is a feast for the eyes, just exquisite. And love the backstory!

    Have a fantastic weekend!
    Psst, your giveaway looks scrumptious. Can't wait to see your shop debut!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous post...just found you cos you'd posted a comment on ninainvorm's blog, and I thought I'd check out who reads hers, cos they're probably lovely, interesting arty people too...and yay...I was right...looking forward to reading more of yours. These illustrations are just wonderful. Thanks for sharing this...blogs are just so great sometimes...I'm glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this post, she is very good illustrator!

    ReplyDelete
  14. quelle belle histoire...et ces photos superbes!
    merci pour la découverte!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!