Thursday 1 February 2018

Finding a New Voice


   February 1st, 2018:  I woke up this morning with only one thing on my mind-my blog.

I started Kickcan and Conkers almost 9 years ago, eager to share, inspire and build a small, online community of likeminded creatives around the world. I had no idea how many wonderful friends and colleagues I would make on line and off, nor where my virtual journey would take me. There was obviously a different momentum in the early blogging days, a different community spirit too. I kind of miss that, but if I'm here again today, it's because I believe in here and now, in embracing change and in pushing onwards and upwards.


I have no clear idea of what I want to do with K and C, I may even abandon this space and create a new site and a new brand, I'll see. Since I closed my online kids' design shop I have been exploring other passions, such as fashion and photography, via my tumblr blog Plumes and Feathers. Tumblr offered me the anonymity I needed at the time as I felt confined to the vintage, graphic, children's world I had been so focused on for years.  Plumes and Feathers is my happy place on line, the place where I really feel myself, hence these three screenshots I'm sharing with you today.


  Are you still reading blogs? I occasionally receive emails from followers saying how much they miss K&C, prompting me to question whether or not I still have something to say. Social media has become so fast-paced, ephemeral and all-pervading - more, more, more...

Kickcan & Conkers has always been a predominantly visual blog, hopefully full of unusual finds, inspiring creativity and interesting links for readers to explore. If I can continue to share along those lines over the next few months, until I find a definite new sense of direction, I'll be more than happy I think.

Time to dip my toes into blogland again.


C'est parti...




8 comments:

  1. How good to see you back Deborah! K&C was one of the first blogs I started following when I started my own blog (and we both know it's was so far from I share ;-) but, since you started your P&F tumblr, I had a huge crush on it. The pictures you share, the moodboards that come along are stunning. You should work on it in here as well. I'm sure lots of old followers will follow you on this new path. Your inspirations are so strong, a new community can easily come out of it (which is harder on the tumblr platform).
    Reading blogs? I still think few people do it now, certainly fewer than before, but if you can give them something they cannot find somewhere else (which you certainly will), readers will stick around and love you for it :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! I'm just going to be myself and see where it takes me... xxx

      Delete
  2. Still read! Love your imagery and words :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love blogs and miss many that have stopped including as you know Kickcanandconkers, with every other media becoming littered with invasive advertising, I think a return to blogging is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Hazel. I think a few people are starting to step back from the other platforms, forget about followers / numbers and, I hope, enjoy creating something more substantial. I am feeling enthusiastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed this blog from its very beginning. I also miss the old blog world and I made many friends through them. I had several blogs, cancelled them, started new ones. Some were about my life, my son, photos, travels... now I have one with mostly writings, poetry, trying to spread nice and beautiful words and arts. I hope you come visit. I am here and will be here. Thank you for staying within the blog world. I like that we can take our time and comment, see photos, read texts. Thank you again. Kenza.
    https://smiledustblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pleased to find you back here, in a new direction, good for you! I too considered to stop my blog all together with so much change in social network, but I have kept it slowly just because blog is somewhere I can write better than quick moving social media.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!