Friday 13 January 2012

Fresh Talent: Rosemary Milner




RM
If there's one person we'll be hearing a lot about in 2012 it's her.




I discovered Rosemary's beautiful printed textile designs and bespoke embroidery in December when I was over in Yorkshire. The Living North Magazine had run a big feature on her work and yes, I think my jaw dropped when I saw it.



 Rosemary recently graduated from Leeds College of Art with a First Class Hons Degree in Printed Textiles & Surface Pattern Design. She designs for textile furnishings and interior papers, always showing a great consideration of craft and tradtional methods of printing and production, such as hand-etching, lino illustration and silk-screen print. Her embroidery collections include hand stitched motifs, stitched-into papers and fabrics and embellished vintage found items.


There's something so very British in her work; I'm not sure if it's the subject matter, rural wildlife, familiar woodland animals, birds and plants, or the form, the patterns, the layers, the history, the love of traditional craftmanship. It's a combination of all these things I guess.


Rosemary is currently working on her online shop. She accepts commissions and is also getting ready to launch a brand new wallpaper/soft furnishing range. Something tells me that her appeal and success will not be limited to the British Isles. I for one will be following her, and, I don't know about you, but despite the hours I spend pinning, I feel inspired to buy a roll of brown kraft paper and create my own collage-moodboard-wallpaper. Maybe I could do a Spring nature-table-type one with the kids?


Love!


5 comments:

  1. wow! I hope her e-shop will open soon! merci Deborah et très bon week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very inspiring, elegant stuff, I love it too!

    Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je louche sur ces tissus, ils sont splendides , j'ai deja des idées plein la tete

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!