Friday 20 January 2012

La Vida Es Juego





I don't know about you but since I started blogging my interest in print magazines has been on the wane. I've cancelled a couple of my long-standing subscriptions for British publications and only occasionally nip into the newsagents for my favourite French home & decor magazines. I guess I don't have time anymore and I have to admit that as I am so active online I'm often disappointed when I flick through the pages, and everything looks so very déjà vu.

I do enjoy a good foreign print magazine though. I'm curious by nature, as you well know, and love looking for new products, artists, makers and trends from different countries. I don't necessarily speak the language so thankfully, most of the time, pictures speak louder than words.


I've been a fan of the Kireei blog for ages. I think Cristina Camarena and I have very similar tastes and I try to pop over every day to see her latest finds. I've also contributed to a couple of Kireei's online magazines, which was fun.

My Spanish followers will already be aware that Kireei is now available in print and I have to say that I am very impressed indeed with the first issue.

  
I consider myself fairly "well-read" and "au fait" with what's going on in the Children's Industry so when I sat down to look at Kireei and discovered page after page of new products and designers I was over the moon. This pouf, Odie, for example, comes from the new-to-me kids' furniture company Gegant.




The whole magazine is filled with interesting products, craft and design articles, photography and tutorials (I love Ishtar Olivera's stamps and the Bean Bag Toss). Clearly, a lot of hard work has been put into every aspect of the magazine, right down to its format and the quality of the paper. Yes, I actually think it smells nice too!

The Kireei team have already notched up an impressive list of stockists and also sell their magazine in their Big Cartel Shop.

I don't speak Spanish very well but I do know a quality, stylish publication when I see one.


6 comments:

  1. I am inclined to agree, I only subscribe to Elle Deco here, I rather like the Finnish Deko mag though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the Finnish mag but would love to get hold of a copy of a Croatian or Serbian one, I am sure there's so much undiscovered design in those countries.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Deborah, beautiful post, sounds really honest and true, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Cris, I look forward to reading your next issue and I still have a list of links to follow up from this one :)

      Delete
  3. We agree with you wholeheartedly as we have had the same experience (probably the same as many people!)
    Currently the only ones we read and are inspired by are the brilliant childrens magazines 'OKIDO' and 'Anorak' which are both so original and (almost) ad-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think what I should have added is that, at the same time, there are a handful of really excellent quality magazines - Selvedge, Uppercase, Papier Maché, Milk, for example, which are a real pleasure to read, not just for their content but also the quality of the paper and the visual layout. I think Kireei will be in that league. They stand out from all the rest, in my opinion.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!