Wednesday 15 September 2010

A Little More Leg Room




I really like this 1940's school desk and chair that I spotted yesterday in Hindsvik's shop.
I doubt it'll stay there long. If I lived in the States I'd be tempted, it's the kind of furniture I love, just for decoration. It would be no good for any of my three children, however.

Dylan (14), in particular, has been eating his greens, you see. Lots of them, infact. So much so that he now towers above his father and I and has long since stopped borrowing our socks ( size 47 shoe and growing fast...). I'm fairly tall (1.73m) but have to look up to talk to him (currently standing at 1.88m!). This is all very well if you're into basketball but it's starting to pose a problem at home. Thank goodness for our high ceilings!


We've just had to buy Dylan a double bed and are now trying to find a long-term solution to the desk situation. Sitting down at any table has indeed become a problem, no leg room you see (you should have seen the poor kid on a plane in the Summer!).

We're thinking of trying this DIY industrial-looking desk I found in the latest issue of Milk Magazine. What do you think? Anyone have any other ideas? I'd LOVE to know.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, the school desk is amazing. I haven't seen one with a side drawer like that. As for desk design, if you were going to go with the DIY industrial desk, make sure the edge of the desk is further away from the wall than the photie. He'll end up kicking it (poor Dylan). If you have the room, have it extended as far out as possible. He might even want something solid enough to put his feet up onto (whether you like it or not!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what a handsome little boy you have! Well not little in height! Remember he has not stopped growing yet. The little desk is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Tall cats and Thereza Rowe work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the desk and the shop, I might be able to fit in it being only 5'2" ;o)
    If you want industrial you might be to make one out of old scaffolding poles and wood planks, could have it any height you want then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a nice,big drawing table from IKEA that can be raised or lowered- might be worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jfidz that's a possibility too. I saw a really nice aluminium table top and 4 extensible legs. Haven't made our mind up. The other problem is the size of the room, it's not exactly large and we now have a double bed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ton fils est très beau, très grand et très beau :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought that height is always an advantage. I'm short so I envy Dylan's towering height! on the other hand, I can snuggle up my legs anywhere, the industrial desk looks nice but I won't sit for long time in those chairs, whether I'm short or tall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely desk! Wish I could go back to school. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!