Friday 27 November 2009

Ben's Blue Boat


Miles is growing up so quickly now that he's at pre-school full-time. He was quite shy last year so it's wonderful to see him coming out of his shell, making friends, exploring and gaining confidence everyday. He's a very curious little boy and won't rest until he knows exactly how something works, closes, opens, starts, stops...

If you've been following you'll know that Miles and Savannah now have to wear glasses. Despite my initial worries, it's been no problem at all. However it has raised questions about disability. What's it like to be blind? How can you read if you can't see? How can you talk if you can't hear? I thought it would be quite fitting to show you some pictures from one of Dick Bruna's lesser well known books, The Blue Boat, written by Peter Jones for the National Deaf Children's Society (Methuen Children's Books, 1984) that I picked up at a charity shop a while ago. Amazon UK has a few copies in stock if you're interested.

Miles grandit si vite maintenant qu'il est en moyenne section. Il était assez timide l'année dernière à l'école donc, c'est très agréable de le voir sortir de sa coquille, de se faire des copains, d'explorer le monde et de prendre de plus en plus confiance en lui au fil des jours qui passent. Curieux de nature, il va jusqu'au bout des choses pour comprendre comment elles fonctionnent, ferment, ouvrent, démarrent, s'arrêtent...

Mes fidèles sont au courant que Miles et Savannah doivent porter des lunettes. Malgré mes craintes initiales, tout c'est très bien passé et ils se sont adaptés sans problème. Cependant, leurs nouvelles accessoires ont soulevés pas mal de questions sur l'handicap. C'est comment d'être aveugle? Comment est-ce qu'on lit si ne voit pas? Comment peut-on parler si on entend pas? Je pensais que c'était l'occasion de vous faire voir quelques pages d'un très beau livre que j'ai acheté il y a quelque temps. The Blue Boat, un des livres moins connus de Dick Bruna, écrit par Peter Jones (Methuen Children's Books, 1984) est l'histore d'un petit garçon malentendant qui s'appelle Ben. Vous trouverez quelques exemplaires en vente chez Amazon UK.




3 comments:

  1. Yes I often think about those questions especially how to manage if it is your own child. I love Dick Bruna I haven't seen this book but the simplicity of his illustrations is genius. I read he takes a very long time to get it that simple, and to choose each colour. A wonderful talent who has made me and my children v happy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that of Mr Ben fame ? if not reminds me of him....

    My children are both severely dyslexic...

    I had to fight many a battle to get help. At sixteen, my daughter can't STOP reading !!!
    ( but likes a party too ! ) so difficult to get it right - do what your instincts tell you - you are their mom !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'll have a look straight away, looks really good, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!